July 24th is National Tequila Day.
Christopher DeSoto, founder of Hiatus Tequila, joined “Fox & Friends Weekend” Sunday morning to celebrate the distilled liquor, made with fermented aloe juice.
Here are some fun facts about tequila – for today and every day.
Celebrate National Tequila Day with this magical margarita
Check out these facts here.
1. Tequila is native to Mexico and named after the city of Tequila, which is located in the western Mexican state of Jalisco.
2. Only five countries are authorized to make tequila, according to DeSoto.
Those states are Guanajuato, Jalisco, Michoacan, Nayarit and Tamaulipas.
DeSoto said on “Fox and Friends Weekend” that Jalisco is one of Mexico’s largest producers.
3. The raw ingredient that makes tequila is Mexican blue agave, a succulent variety with thick leaves.
According to Desoto, the plant can take up to eight years to mature. When the agave finally reaches maturity, it is harvested and cooked to make tequila.
Tequila and Mezcal: What’s the difference?
4. The color of tequila can vary – this color corresponds to longevity.
Below is a summary of the differences.
Blanco Tequila is clear and usually aged from zero to five months.
Reposado tequila is golden amber and is usually aged for six months.
Añejo tequila is golden brown in color and is usually a year old.
CLICK HERE FOR FOX NEWS APP
“Blanco is always the most popular because it’s the one we’re always used to doing shots with and all of that,” DeSoto said.
“There are three expressions.”
5. DeSoto said that the “cleaner” and “softer” tequila is, the less sugar is needed.
“Margaritas in Mexico are like nothing this side of the border,” he said in an interview with “Fox and Friends Weekend.”
National Tequila Day: 5 fun facts about the lonely soul
“Margaritas in Mexico are almost soda, lime, and tequila. It’s clean, and you won’t feel bad the next day.”
What combo does Christopher DeSoto recommend?
If you need an easy cocktail, DeSoto recommends the Hiatus Highball.
It’s made with three ingredients: tequila, tonic water, and lemon juice.