Sure, services like Plex exist to combine the soup of a streaming service into one convenient interface, but why give a new company access to your valuable data when you can leave it in Google’s hands? They already have all your information.
What is Google TV?
Google TV is the latest big G release for Google Play Movies & TV. Google TV hopes to make the streaming experience more convenient by combining six subscriptions into one app and making suggestions for you to watch based on what you’ve already watched. With Google TV, you can browse movies and shows from the likes of AppleTV+, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Peacock, Prime Video, Sling, YouTube TV, and other streaming and streaming service providers.
Google TV is built into Chromecast and Android TV devices, but you can also use it on any other Android device with the Google TV app in the Play Store. For this guide, we will mainly focus on the Android app, but the general idea is the same for the other devices mentioned.
How to use Google TV on your Android phone or tablet
While the best way to watch content on Google TV is from your couch, on a giant 4K TV, and with a big bowl of snacks, you can also download the Google TV Android app to watch content on the go with your Android or iOS phone. or a tablet. It may be a suboptimal experience, but it’s better than getting stuck on a long train journey without dopamine.
Let’s look at how to view and manage content using the Google TV Android app. Before you begin, search for the Google TV app in the Play Store. Once the Google TV app is installed, open the app and follow these steps:
- The first screen prompts you to associate the streaming services with your Google account. Select all the streaming services you want to add to Google TV and tap he did to proceed to the screen where you can view the content. Depending on whether you’re signed in to the streaming service, you may need to sign in to add the service to your Google TV account.
- If you have never linked or added the selected service to your Google account, tap end to end It redirects you to a page that asks for your login information.
- Enter your login credentials on the login page for the services you want to add and click sign in To go to the link confirmation page.
- On the link confirmation page, click Sure To associate the Service with your Google Account.
- After adding all streaming services, tap he did to start watching the content.
Now that you’ve linked your streaming services to the Google TV app and your account, you can browse and view content from those services on the Google TV homepage.
Google TV tips and tricks
Now that you have the Android app up and running, let’s look at some of the things you can do to get the most out of the Google TV app, whether you’re watching in the comfort of your home or on the bus on the way to your office.
Google TV Recommendations
The first thing you’ll see after setting up the Google TV app is a file The best choices for you Top wall of content that the app offers you. The best choices for you It’s a section that recommends content that Google TV thinks is best for you based on what you’ve watched on services like Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. These recommendations change as new content appears and as you watch more content.
If the recommendations do not suit you, you can modify your recommendations in several ways. The easiest way to adjust your recommendations is to add or remove services from Google TV in the app settings. However, this results in less content in your Google TV app, which may not be what you want.
Here’s how to reset recommendations from the Google TV app:
- Tap on your profile picture in the top-right corner of the app.
- Faucet my activity To go to My Google Activity page.
- Tap the three horizontal lines in the upper left corner of the screen to open the sidebar.
- In the sidebar menu, click Delete activity by To delete your online and app activity for a specified period of time.
- selection Yesterday or last hour In the next stage, it immediately deletes all the app and search history of your Google account at that time. selection Always or custom domain It takes you to a page where you can delete history on a per-application basis.
- if you choose Always or custom domain, the next page prompts you to choose the services for which you want to delete the history. Select the history you want to erase and click next one To preview the information that will be deleted.
- Faucet delete to confirm the deletion.
Deleting your online app history resets your recommendations based on your searches and other interactions with Google apps, but your watchlist recommendations will remain the same and affect yours.
How to use Google TV Watch List
Google TV automatically imports your watch lists from services like Netflix and Hulu, but you can also add shows and movies manually to your watch list. You can add shows from within the Google TV app interface, but the integration with Google search and other features makes it even more convenient. For example, when your friend tells you about a show you should watch, you can search the show in Google and instantly add it to your watchlist instead of having to figure out where it’s broadcasting, open that app, find the show, and add it to the list individually.
Watchlist is also an additional data point that Google TV can use to recommend content to watch, so you can use it to fine-tune your recommendations.
How to use the default Google TV Remote
If you use your phone or tablet as a companion device to your Android TV or a Google TV compatible device, you may be interested in the remote control functionality. The feature is fairly easy to set up, and you can pin a remote shortcut to the quick settings in the notification shortcut tray for quick access.
Once you have the remote set up, you can use it to perform any basic navigation and controls on your TV, as well as use the keyboard on your phone to enter text on your TV, which is undoubtedly a better experience than an onscreen keyboard can be.
warm for the movie
Whether you’re just getting started with your home broadcast setup, or you already have the best of your home broadcasting hardware, Google TV might be something you should consider, especially for its close integrations with Google Assistant and search services, and for the amazing movie and show integration perks. Which we have access to these days.