There are plenty of snacks out there that claim to be healthy, but it turns out that they are just something else. However, if you’re trying to lose weight but still want to snack throughout the day, consider some healthy, low-calorie options to suit every taste.
Why Snack? Research has shown that snacking can help with weight loss Especially if the snacks are low in calories but rich in fiber and protein. Eating regular snacks can help satisfy our appetite, helping us to eat smaller portions during our meals.
From sweet fruits and yogurt to more savory offerings, here are 10 great options that will help you keep your calories in check without feeling hungry.
- Fresh fruits and vegetables: Fill up on high-fiber foods such as fruits and vegetables. Not only are they low in calories, but they also help you feel fuller for longer. Water-rich fruits, such as apricots, peaches, and pineapple, have fewer calories than most fruits – but still taste great.
- Greek Yogurt: This type of yogurt is full of protein that can help promote weight loss. It’s also a good source of calcium, which can help keep bones strong. Add a layer of fruit or granola for more healthy fiber.
- popcorn: Air-popped popcorn is a healthy, low-calorie snack option. Make sure to avoid butters that are high in fat and calories and opt for plain popcorn instead.
- Whole grain crackers: Choose whole-grain crackers as a nutritious snack option. Put some carrots, grapes, or chickpeas on top for a hint of flavor without adding any extra inches to your waistline.
- pastries: Pretzels are a low-calorie snack that can help satisfy your hunger. Just make sure you choose the right type; Avoid those coated with chocolate or other high-calorie additives.
- Rice cakes: Rice cakes are a light and airy snack option. It is also low in calories and has a variety of flavours.
- soup: A bowl of soup can make a filling and satisfying snack. Choose varieties that are lower in sodium and fat, such as black bean soup or sweet potato soup.
- trail mix: A trail mix is a great way to get a mix of healthy fats, proteins, and complex carbs. Just be sure to watch the portion size; It’s easy to eat plenty of this delicious snack.
- Hard-boiled eggs: Eggs are a good source of protein and can help you feel full. Avoid adding high-calorie toppings, such as mayonnaise or cheese.
- Fruit bars: These bars are made with real fruits and make a great on-the-go snack. But be sure to check the label – some brands may be high in sugar and calories.
Snacks don’t have to be a pleasure. If you are looking for healthy, low-calorie snacks that will help you lose weight, look no further. These 10 great options are perfect for any taste, and they’ll keep your calories under control without feeling hungry. Next time cravings strike, find one of these delicious snacks instead!
Reference: “Snacks, Satiety, and Weight” by Valentin Jancho Ngic, Theresa M. Smith, Omri Shuval, Kerem Shuval, Ingrid Edstein, Vahid Kalantari, and Amy L. Yarosh, 7 Sep 2016, Available here. Advances in Nutrition.
DOI: 10.3945 / an.115.009340